Tall, white and pink with sugar roses – sound familiar? The traditional wedding cake will never go out of fashion. But if you’re the type of couple that prefers to shake things up a bit, maybe some of these fun, silly, and interesting alternatives will be right up your alley.
We think our list of non-wedding cake ideas is mouth-watering! Don’t you??
- Something local. Can we say, “Churros!”? We’re a little partial to this sugary, doughy treat because we produce so many weddings and events in Mexico, but offering a dessert that’s native to your wedding destination is a great way to add a little local flair to your event. Getting married in Italy? Serve Italian wedding cookies and cannoli. How about macaroons and Crêpe Suzette in France? The possibilities are as endless as the destinations of the world!
- Fruit. Simple, healthy, and refreshing. Fresh fruit can easily be cut into the shape of a wedding cake with watermelon for the main cake layers, and any other combination of fruit for accents and decor. With a watermelon wedding cake, you can even have a traditional cutting.
- Doughnuts. This sticky wedding trend was assumed to come and go as fast as you can gobble up a Krispy Kreme, but donuts at weddings have stood the test of time. Who doesn’t love doughnuts?! and these wedding ring shaped pastries are easy and fun to display in a work of art. Arrange them in a tower or hang them on a wall installation and your donut desserts will look as good as they taste.
- Cake pops. Cake pops are a great alternative to wedding cake because they add a shadow of tradition, in a bite-sized, take-home-friendly package. They taste delicious and look adorable, so what’s not to like? You can offer a variety of flavors, just like with traditional cake. These tiny beauties also make great favors.
- Cheese. Don’t have a sweet tooth? Some of our more savory couples have opted to present their guests with a decadent after-dinner display of cheese that will have your mouth watering. Stack the artisan wheels on top of each other, and they’ll look just like a wedding cake! Throw in some fresh and dried fruit, honey, nuts, marmalade, and fresh bread and crackers to your display, and watch that cheese wheel wedding cake vanish before your eyes.
Have other ideas for non-traditional wedding cakes? We would love to hear them! Post the comments or send us a note!