Wedding gifts are one of the many ways you’ll show the lucky couple that you really love them and want to celebrate their new marriage. You want your gift to be something to make them smile, and you’ll want to make sure they actually like it.
How do you do that? We have some tips for you!
- If they don’t have a wedding website, ask their inner circle of friends about their wedding registry. Adding registry information on the invitations is generally considered to be tacky, so the bride will most likely avoid doing this. If they have a wedding website, you will find all the info you need there. If not, their parents, their Maid of Honor, or their Best Man will most likely be able to help.
- It’is recommended that you give them a gift from their wedding registry if they have one. Those are the items they specifically chose, so it’s hard to go wrong. In general, wedding registries are created in a way that allows for plenty of freedom (e.g. offering arange of prices and options) – so you can definitely find something suitable there.
- Send their gifts to the appointed address. It is generally OK to bring the gift at the wedding, but it makes the logistics of the after-wedding hours a bit more difficult for the bride and groom, and is downright painful at a destination wedding. Sending the gift directly to the Love Birds makes it easier on them and you.
- You can definitely group around bigger items. Chances are the bride and groom have also included larger items in their wedding registry. That doesn’t mean they expect one person to buy them that gift, though. These items are usually geared for larger groups of friends who want to buy a bigger gift together. Maybe a group of co-workers will all chip in and buy a TV, for example.
- When in doubt, CASH! There isn’t a couple alive who wouldn’t be able to put a cash gift to good use as they start their new life together. Monetary gifts are by no means tacky or inappropriate, and will most definitely be appreciated.
The rules about how much you are expected to spend on a wedding gift have evolved over time and there is a lot of debate over what is appropriate. We think the most important thing is that it should be from the heart. This gift is a celebratory gesture, to show the newlyweds that you love and support them, and wish them well in their new marriage.